Reconciliation Through Indigenous Education
Advancing reconciliation in classrooms, organizations, and communities through the teaching and learning of Indigenous ways of knowing.
About this course
For educators, this means responding to educational reforms that prioritize improved educational outcomes for Indigenous learners. In addition, educators must support all learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of Indigenous people’s worldviews and cultures as a basis for creating equitable and inclusive learning spaces. To support these goals, teachers, administrators, young people, school staff, and researchers will learn from Indigenous Elders, educational leaders, and culturally relevant learning resources as part of their experiences in this course.
For others who want to build their own competence and the capacity of those around them to engage with in relationships with Indigenous peoples based on intercultural understanding, empathy, and respect, this course will help get you get started in this process.
This course will help you envision how Indigenous histories, perspectives, worldviews, and approaches to learning can be made part of the work we do in classrooms, organizations, communities, and our everyday experiences in ways that are thoughtful and respectful. In this course, reconciliation emphasizes changing institutional structures, practices, and policies, as well as personal and professional ideologies to create environments that are committed to strengthening our relationships with Indigenous peoples.
What you’ll learn
- Explore personal and professional histories and assumptions in relationship to Indigenous peoples histories and worldviews
- Deepen understanding and knowledge of colonial histories and current realities of Indigenous people
- Engage with Indigenous worldviews and perspectives that contextualize and support your understanding of the theories and practices of Indigenous education
- Develop strategies that contribute to the enhancement of Indigenous-settler relations in schools, organizations, and communities
- Explore Indigenous worldviews and learning approaches for their application to the classroom or community learning setting
- Engage in personal and professional discussions in an online environment with others committed to understanding and advancing reconciliation